Friday, August 19, 2005

R&R: Moving Day, Part XII

Don't worry, the whole "R&R: Moving Day..." thing will end soon. There's only so many more days before training camps around the league will begin and be followed shortly thereafter by the pre-season and regular season games. Hockey's back. I can almost taste it.

However, until then. There are more transactions of which to be aware. First things first. Marty, Marty, Marty. Get a new agent. Clearly the dope you have working for you now is not handling things well. You will come back to us, man. You will.

Now to direct my attention back to the reader, if you were unaware, Marty's rep decided to postpone today's meeting with Jay. Why? Because he sucks. I know Vinny got a huge wad of cash, but dammit Marty, you play for love of the game more than he does. Sorry, I slipped back into addressing Marty.

There's no other jersey I would be comfortable seeing him wear in October. He's got to stay with us. He's got to.

Then, of course there's the Stinkin' Panthers who took out an insurance policy on the whiny Roberto Luongo by signing Jean-Marc Pelletier (another in a long line of dual-named French Canadian, "once-a-Penguin-always-a-Penguin" netminders — Marc-Andre Fleury being the other).

Anyway. Luongo's arbitration hearing is Wednesday and if the Stinkin' Panthers dislike the result, they'll at least have Pelletier to fall back on. Not a bad plan but I sure wouldn't want to lose Luongo. I didn't want to lose Khabibulin. And I'd take Luongo over Khabibulin any day.

Moving on, now. Some other guys are getting new jerseys this fall. They are as follows.

  • Randy Robitaille, formerly a Thrasher, is the newest addition in Music City;

  • Ex-Lightning forward Steve Martins has left the Blues to join Ottawa;

  • Joel Bouchard is darting Manhattan for a job on Long Island;

  • and with his Chicago job gone, goalie Steve Passmore is now a Coyote (filling the void left by Pelletier).

You guessed it, now I will list the players re-signing contracts. In no particular order, they are Brenden Morrow of Dallas. Yeah I know, that was a long list.

Before I click "Publish Post," I thought I take a second to again mention the Comcast hockey contract. The press release came out today and it really has me looking forward to hockey on the tube. It looks like they are going to be offering more than ESPN ever did. The release mentioned new VOD (video-on-demand) capabilities that would include game highlights as well as more high definition broadcasts among other things.

The only question I have though, is who OLN will get to sit in front of the microphones? Will we get brand new broadcasters we've never seen/heard before? I would like to see OLN have access to Barry Melrose, Bill Clement, Gary Thorne, Darren Pang, et al. I don't know what their ESPN contracts (if they still have them) are like, but it's a thought.




Calgary's Hockey Mecca (Space's Perspective)   Here's the Saddledome, home of the Flames. From the sky. If you're wondering why I posted this, I refer you to yesterday's post.

1 Comments:

At 1:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

- Thorne's really a baseball guy
- Clement has been trying his hand at other events on ESPN, but he would be my first choice on OLN as an analyst
- Pang has done some stuff on ESPN's site, but I haven't seen him mentioned anywhere else, and it think his name (along with Melrose's) has been removed from the "Contributors" list; could be just spring cleaning
- Buccigross would be great on OLN with a wrap-up show, but he's been doing Sportscenter lately, and he lives in CT
- Ray Ferraro was pretty good last season on NHL2Nite as well

Cherry! :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home